Sunday, November 06, 2005

How Much Have You Grown?

I was browsing through some old photos the other day and had a laugh over quite a few of them. Some were of my own during JC and Army, some were of friends that I have known for many years and still some, were of people that were strangers to me when the photos were taken but somehow, God allowed our paths to cross. I have included a few here so that we can laugh together. Ha ha ha.

But really, as I was reflecting about who I am today compared to who
I was 5-10 years ago, I realised I have grown to be someone quite different. Now, different can mean good and bad. I came to the conclusion that I am happier with who I am today then who I was then. But I also realised that in order for me to reach where I am today, I actually had to DTS (Die To Self) many times over.

Ma
ny times, I never understood what God was doing in my life. Many times, i rebeled and grumbled and sulked and got angry with God. Many times too, I stood firm, rose above the waves, dug in, pressed on and saw God come through for me. Each was a choice that I made. Each was a choice that was GIVEN to me to make. I hope that I am the wiser for all of these experiences so far, so that I lead the rest of my life making more right choices than wrong ones.

Truthfully, I have nothing to boast
about, except of the Lord. I am but a sinner saved by grace. Still, I seek to be even more excellent for Him with each breath that I take. How much have you grown? No, seriously.... How much have you grown. We have only one life. Let's live it intentionally. :)

L-R: Brandan, Edward and Samuel at Phileo Camp 2001

L-R: Marcus, Daniel, Andrew, Narash and Angus 2002

Trying out at Asia Beat 2002

Encounter Weekend 2003: Before I knew Shujun.

Phoebe's Gift Rehearsal 2003: Before I knew Cynthia.

4 comments:

jo c said...

so i did some counting and would you believe it that i've known you for bout 9 years. isn't that crazy? though i admit that sadly i don't really know you all that well anyway. but somehow i think you have indeed changed since we first met. then again it's hard not to after that long and especially during those years. in your case, i feel you've changed and grown for the better. so that's all good :) as for me, i'm still learning and growing...

Unknown said...

Hey jo, I think in many ways, we determine how much we want to learn. More often than not, we underestimate ourselves when it comes to our capacity to learn. Learning often requires us to get out of our comfort zones to be stretched and like a rubber band. Talking about rubberbands, if you think about it, a rubber band can only fulfill it's potential and purpose if it is stretched. The same can be said of people, I feel. If you want it badly enough, I'm sure you will be able to make learning more meaningful for you. We have it in all of us. But would you choose to exercise that choice? :)

jo c said...

and talking bout rubberbands... there's only so much it can be stretched before it loses elasticity, rendering it useless. haha!
so let's say that we choose to exercise that choice... what does that even mean? going out of our comfort zone?

Anonymous said...

Yea I agree with what you said on your blog. Over the last 11yrs, you have evolved so much! Closer to being Chirst-like more and more each day.

When I looked at you - indeed these right decisions (thou may be sacrificial) bears good testimonies to those whom you share your life with.

Haha, as a sis, I must certainly give u an A+ for being more and more sweet!!