Thursday, July 06, 2006

OSIM Triathlon Reflections I

Swimming in the East Coast sea is one interesting experience.
You never know what you might drag out of it...

Last year in May at my church's retreat for leaders, my pastor shared with us on what it means to celebrate the family. He taught something that was extremely significant for me and which I am beginning to appreciate more as I went through the whole process of training for the OSIM Sprint Tri.

That time, Pastor Eugene shared with us the need to celebrate our diversity within the family. It is not good enough that we accept that we are different from each other. We need to recognise that in our differences, we CAN make a difference in each other's lives. Meaning this: I am the better for it because you see things differently, because you do things differently, because you add to my life in that unique way that nobody else can! In our differences, you are ABLE to contribute to my life!

So, what does all these have to do with me joining OSIM? Well, in a big way. You see, triathlons are events that I think only crazy people would go for. At least, I used to think so. The only reason why I signed up was because I had a crazy enough brother who in our differences, was impossibly attracted to this sport. I took up this challenge because I knew I could count on him to guide me through it and to support me in this strange thing which I knew nuts about. And of course, I wanted to experience first hand what was so inducing about this sport.

What an experience it was. I really enjoyed the race. Really. No, REALLY. It was refreshing, challenging and invigorating to say the least. The other day, I sent my brother an sms. It read - "If not for you , I would have never even considered joining something like this. I'm the better for it. Thank you." I am the better for it because I started by believing that in our differences, my brother could contribute to my life in a special and unique way. I never saw it so clearly. It makes the race all the more special. I thank God that He took the pains to orchestrate something like that for me. Someone asked me, "So, next year you are up for the Olympic Distance?" I hesitated a while, but then replied with a confident smile, "Why not?" I am a changed man.

Click the koala for more pics on the action-packed day.

No comments: