Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A new year, A new challenge!

Me and my training partner, James after the race.

I've been thinking about something... Most of you know how I started 2006 by declaring that I wanted to do something extraordinary that year, something I had never done before, something that would be a challenge for myself. And I ended up taking part in my very first sprint triathlon, completing it in a rather credible time of 1h 41.58 sec. One of my motivations then was to find something that I could work towards that would help me in my constant struggle to keep fit.

Well, it seems that after the completion of the tri last year in July, things haven't gone on as I expected. I am supposed to have met by ideal weight of 65 kg by now (that is, if I had constantly exercised even after the sprint tri), but truth is, I am far from that, maybe even worse than I was at the beginning of 2006. Haha. A good friend made this interesting comment the other day. He said I was the fittest chubby person he knows. While, that is true to a large extent, I don't really consider myself fit at all. Just the other day, due to some administrative mistake, I was told that I had to sign up for RT since I had failed to take my IPPT. Truth is, I was not able to book for it at all. The more frightening truth is that if I were to take it now, I would probably ace it! From the bottom that is.

So I start this year by making another declaration. I will be attempting the OSIM Olympic Triathlon this year (twice the distance of the sprint). I am counting on all of you who read my blog to constantly badger me, mercilessly remind me and endlessly kick my lazy butt to start training for it and maintain a proper exercise routine even after the race. My other goal is this - in the process, I hope to find 6 long lost friends whom I dearly miss (actually, more like never met before). For those who are interested to join me on this quest, journey, adventure, whatever you want to call it, let me know so we can train together!

I've come to appreciate the importance and value of exercise in leading a healthy balanced life. And I'm always game for a new adventure and challenge. So the Olympic Tri shall be one of those for me this year. What's yours?

Oh, by the way, did I tell you my brother is attempting his first Ironman race in February? He intends to complete 3 by the time he is 30. Now THAT'S a challenge.

2 comments:

jo c said...

olympic tri?? oh my gosh! okay i totally support you. in fact i'm intending to try the tri this year. which is why i've been learning to cycle haha! if i recover from the surgery fast enough i might try the nus biathlon. i don't know. i'm not very unfit but even that is kinda all scary for me.

Fishmonger said...

Go for it bro. You have my fullest support here! Let me know what support you need... diet, training plan, equipment, attire, nutrition.. I'm just a bathroom away =) And you've got everything you need here. In fact I'm gonna pass you my oversized trisuit so that you can also look good while competing! Race in style!