Friday, January 19, 2007

A toast to this TOASTER!


My adventures with the toaster started in primary school. My mum would make the most delicious luncheon meat toasted sandwiches using those toasters that opened up like a briefcase. The bread always came out as nicely goldened triangles stuffed with piping hot mashed up "Ma Ling" brand luncheon meat, some of it oozing out of the seams of the toasted sandwich. I never stopped thanking God for people who created machines that could make such saliva-inducing stuff.

Then I discovered, (largely from my buffet breakfasts at restaurants when we traveled), that toasters also came in standing-up format. And as some commercials would have you believe, they are also capable of shooting out your toast sky high! I also remember seeing those huge industrial toasters at hotel restaurants with track-run metal grills that drew your bread into the toaster so that your toast got nicely browned on the top, then slid down to a tray at the end. I always remembered making them jam up cos I put cheese on my bread or something.

Well, the toaster has remained more or less the same since then. Until now that is. George Waston, a really clever designer has crafted one of the coolest looking toasters I have ever set my eyes on. This clever and beautiful invention works by heating the bread via twin-facing hotplates and even has a button in the front to control the degree of toastness you desire! At the end of the heating mechanism are V-shaped prongs that hold your bread while you make more. Well, toast making just got THAT much more enjoyable!

No comments: