Monday, October 08, 2007

Thiswassupposedtobeaseriousblog - The Youtube Update


2005 Miami U. Cheezies a cappella: Facebook Song

If you have been reading the papers recently, you would have noticed quite a few articles talking about how much time people at work waste on Facebook and other internet related sites (go read Sumiko Tan's column in the Sunday Times). Remember how on MSN, we used to spend time staring at the screen, waiting for the all too familiar ring which signalled a message by someone, (which we really liked because it meant we were important and people still remembered us). Well, now on Facebook, we have apparently discovered more ways to prop up our self-esteem by superpoking everyone in our friends list, sending people fish for their aquarium, giving our friends vampire bites (which is about the most irritating thing on Facebook), and drawing strange kiddish pictures on their superwalls, all for one insecure reason - that those people would kindly do the same for you and add to your online status. (See above Youtube video.)
(Read on for other more Youtube gems.)

I really do think that Facebook is a great online application to link up with old friends. But I draw the line when it starts making me feel jealous of the other person who has 200 more friends than me, or more posts on his/her superwall or more booze sent to him/her etc. Of course I have since repented and scrubbed my mind clean of any symptoms of Facebookjealousitis.

Just before writing this entry, I wandered into dangerous territory again by signing in to my Facebook account. In all, I had 10 vampire invites, 5 likeness requests and 3 zombie invites. Add to that 4 posts on my Funwall that consisted of one asking me to support the Action for Singapore Dogs society, one with a Carrie Underwood MTV and another which i deleted before bothering to read more. Lesson of the day: Like most online applications, Facebook is not immune to SPAM. Yes, even good intentioned spam by your friends IS considered spam! Here's to all my lovely friends (and I really do consider you my friends) who keep forwarding me stuff that other people have forwarded you: DO THINK TWICE before you press the send-application-to-all-friends button. I have absolutely NO APPRECIATION for all that. I have no intention of turning my profile page into one of those facebook accounts that look more like an advertisement board of spam rather than one that tells people what you are about. Oh wait, maybe that IS what you are about!

Ok now, I'm normally not so fed-up in my posts, but it's kind of frustrating to see Facebook turn into a spam generating machine when used irresponsibly. And I guess it shows too the insecurity of our inner souls and our constant desire to want to feel accepted. Resist it I say! Anyways, this was supposed to me a Youtube update, so enjoy these other gems I found recently.


Sony Bravia Bunnies

This is a great advertisement that is not just beautifully executed, but also managed to get the public involved in the process. In doing so, it become more than just a great ad. It became a wonderful experience for everyone who saw the giant rabbit take form in their city etc. Inspirational. Updated: Here are 2 pics I found that show a little of the process of making the ad.



To round up, an insightful interview with Mohammad Yunus who started the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh, providing microcredit to the poor. A true groundbreaker.


Muhammad Yunus on poverty

Watch more on Muhammad Yunos who won the Nobel Peace Prize this year here and here.

No comments: