Friday, February 16, 2007

Love is FREE!

I remember saying that I would like to do the Free Hugs thing in Singapore one day. Well, someone has already beaten me to it. I think so far it has been done 3 times by different groups of people! Ha. Interestingly, some of the comments I read off the Youtube site sounded like this, "...guess singaporeans still have some heart after all (italics mine)." I never thought of Singapore as a heartless place really. In fact, I really love this country and the people here. What do you think? Let me know in the comments section.

Anyway, enjoy the Singapore version of Free Hugs below. :)


By the way, is it just me or are most of the people who received the hugs, ang mohs? I think being Asians, we tend to give and receive love different in other ways, for example gifts. Perhaps we should try this on Orchard Road - "FREE GIFTS". I can bet you there will be a line formed. A long line. A very very long line. Ha ha. Imagine that! But seriously, people have different languages of love. And the way you give and receive is often different too!

Generally, there are 5 languages of love - Words of Affirmation, Gifts, Acts of Service, Time, Touch as suggested by Dr Gary Chapman in his book, "The 5 Love Languages". Here's how they apply to me.

Words of affirmation – I express and receive in this manner most often.
Gifts – It’s rare that people buy me something I really like. But when it does happen, I am blessed. I also express in this manner but a bit difficult nowadays with limited supply in the bank. Ha ha.
Acts of service – This one tends to be more of how I express rather than receive.
Time – More of receiving. Have got many busy friends. But when they make time for me, (which seldom happens, ha ha) it means quite a lot to me.
Touch – From close friends and family, a hug is more than anything I can ever ask for. I'm learning to express in this way more often too.

All this writing gives me another idea. Perhaps, we could go Orchard Road and have people at different places offering different Love Languages besides Hugs (touch)! "Free Gifts, Free Hugs, Free Time, Free Encouragement, Free Errands!" Oh well, feel free to share with me your love language in the comments section!


No comments: