Thursday, February 08, 2007

Photo Essay : "Incommunicatable Disease"

[Two strangers waiting at Melbourne Airport. Somehow, they don't look too happy. 128mm, f/4.0, 1/160]

Just yesterday, I realised an email that I had sent out to a group of friends was taken wrongly by one of them. What followed was a succession of passionately written emails that came back in response to what I had said. It wasn't anyone's fault. Just happened that what I had intended to say was not how it was received on the other end!

In our high-tech world where much of our communicating has gone online, it is all too common to assume that what we understand is what the other person is trying to say. We jump to conclusions without clarifying, without trying to understand. Sometimes, even to the extent that it seems we WANT to think the worst of the other person (e.g. how can this person be so unreasonable, rude, obnoxious, insensitive, etc.) I have been guilty of that myself too many times.

I have learnt since, that there is indeed much wisdom to the saying, "Honour one another above yourselves." I say this not in a self-righteous way but that I want to do better next time.


1 comment:

jo c said...

i really like this pic. the black&white, the lighting, the expressions.

it's so true that in this day and age of techonological communication it's easy to get our wires crossed. sometimes i really miss those days where people just picked up the phone to chat or actually made an effort to send out a snail mail letter.