Monday, July 23, 2007

Does ironing my own clothes make me an ironman?

Ok, So, who says I am not Ironman material???! Ermm... actually, I don't think I am. I do have a brother who has completed one though, if that counts. So what's this all about? Well, in less than 6 days, I will be taking part in my FIRST Olympic Distance Triathlon! That's right! I signed up for the OSIM OD (Olympic Distance) Triathlon this July 29th 2007 and if I have to drag my body over that finishing line, I will drag my body over that finishing line.

Actually, it's not that I am unprepared for this race. My kind brother came up with a training program for me about one and a half months ago and I have been trying to follow it faithfully as much as I can. Here's what it looks like.

It's been an interesting past few weeks, with a quite a few first time experiences. I ran my first 10km in 5++ years, I cycled my first 50 km on a road bike (not including overnight cycling trips), I swam my first 30 laps in the pool, comfortably in freestyle throughout and I ate my first packet of powergel (yucks!). And you know what? I kind of enjoyed every bit of it!
Strangely, besides the slight strain in my left knee, I am still pretty much the same size, shape and weight. Do I have exercise-resistant blubber or what?

I must say a big thanks to those who have been encouraging me on so far - my brother for getting me interested in the first place, Huimei my training partner for this season, Sook San for your support and kind words, Eunice for keeping me away from Pocky and Ezra for lending me your bike. Here's my report card so far (the parts in blackened out are what I did).

Meanwhile, I am still on my quest to find my six friends - Abby, Abigail, Abbas, Abnilieus, Absent and Abu. I call them the Abs Family. Go figure.

No comments: