Saturday, August 19, 2006

Is change always for the better?

I just came back from Tiong Bahru market where I had supper after visiting my grandfather in hosipital. I had quite a surprise when I discovered that the old place has actually been transformed into a built-up 2 storey complex. I knew renovations were taking place, but had no idea of its extent and scale.

My first impressions of the new place? It's bad. Yes, it's clean, brighter, there are hundreds more seats and so many more stalls. But it looks like any other refurbished hawker centre I've been to. None of the character or distinctiveness of the old hawker centre remained. There is a sense of disorientation as you try and figure out where you favourite corner carrot cake stall etc. is located in this huge new complex.

I'm not kidding when I say it is big. Correct me if I am wrong, but there must be like twice the number of stalls now. I thought one of the great things about the old place was that it was just big enough for a certain sense of intimacy. And people came because they knew there was good food. Now the place is so big, you feel like you are in just another generic hawker centre or coffee shop, or food court for that matter.

The only good thing now is that you no longer have to wait long for a seat. Then again, that was part of the old market's charm wasn't it. I wish I had taken photos of the place and its people when it was still around. Would have been good to preserve some memories. I am trying to find time now to go take pictures of the National Stadium before it is torn down. Anyone care to join me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey i hope that your grandfather is okay...

i've never actually been there but the chwee kweh (however you spell it) there isn't that great...

yeah you should definitely go take pics of the national stadium. that should be awesome...