Tuesday, August 15, 2006

One Up for Singapore


You've got to see this. I found it on my of my friend's blog and almost fell off my seat watching it. I thought to myself, "Wah, sure or not? Don't kid yourself lah. Where got people so excited to go to Singapore university one? It's such a lie lor. Even Singaporeans themselves want to get out and go to overseas university. How can you even produce a video like that??!"

On reflection though, I started to ask myself how come I would have such a response. Is it only natural to feel repulsed by something like that?

Yes, I do have my fair share of bad run ins with the school administration. Maybe more than my fair share even. Was that the reason I found it difficult to be proud of my own alma mater? It's strange isn't it? That we find it difficult to be proud of many things Singaporean. For example, many successes of Singaporeans are seen with skeptical and suspect eyes until these people are actually recognised by the international community. Then we go, "Wah... this guy Singaporean leh. Must be because grow up overseas that's why so good lah..."

I am sure I am not alone in thinking like this. And I feel this is a cause for prayer. Can we believe God that one day our local university will be so popular internationally because the students and teachers are a great blessing to anyone who studies there? I think that should be a more appropriate response than to be skeptical about a video like that. In fact, if you look at it this way, then this video is really prophetic in a way! And it starts from us believing that God can indeed use our educational institutes in this powerful way!

Let's start by being that blessing to the people around us in school. Let's be like what Paul told Timothy in the Bible - An example for the believers.

As much as the video still makes me cringe a little, I claim it in Jesus' name and ask God for a change of heart. If we are to answer God's call to be a blessing to the nations, then certainly this is what we must do. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i remember seeing this ad and i was like huh? are they kidding? and maybe i'm being unfair 'coz i didn't even go to nus haha! but the funniest part was when they said the guys are cute there. okay again maybe i'm being unfair haha! but i see your point. i think that if God chose for us to be born here and to grow up here, then there must be a reason.

oh i hope you took some pics of the planetshakers concert 'coz i was too excited and forgot and was hoping for some nice pics haha!